Have a comment or question?

Welcome to my blog! Have a comment or question? Feel free to e-mail me and I will post it on the blog with my two-cents! E-mail me at ohionanny2010@gmail.com

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Job Searching Tales Continued

I thought I had a bite!

It was interesting, really. I applied for a long term position with a schedule that sounded workable for me. However, after playing e-mail and phone tag due to a busy Memorial Day weekend for my family and the potential employer family, the prospective MB and I finally got on the phone together.

She explained their needs and we had a long conversation about expectations and a possible meeting date.

Then came the question: what was my rate?

Really? It was clearly posted.

So I tell her. It's two kids, one a toddler. It includes driving around and taking the kids places, which is very cool. I love a parent who gives me free reign on outings.

She insisted on paying $2 below the low end of the going rate in our area. She felt like I was a great match, but they were unwilling to go up $2 an hour from their anticipated pay rate.

No go.

I had a man contact me about a position in his home for his children. I asked the normal questions, what were the duties and hours and days needed?

I truly do not understand people. I mean, really. You want private care and you want to pay less than daycare rates.

He told me their family's expectations. Early morning, get older kids ready for school, fix breakfast for all, transport to school.

No biggie.

Take baby to scheduled classes, like music. Do educational activities with baby. Pick up child who goes to school half day, fix lunch, put kids down for naps, do laundry, change all beds, sweep, vacuum. Get kids up, pick up older child from school come home, help with homework, start dinner, play with kids (no tv). Some grocery errands as needed.

Possible that some nights I would need to stay to put kids to bed, in which case I would be responsible for baths and making sure backpacks and lunches were in order for the next day for the school aged kids.

Pay? $200-$250 a week. Oh, and no gas reimbursement for trips unless I drove more than 10 miles in a single trip.

Never mind that I could easily go over 10 miles a day in all the little single trips combined together.

Oh, and they had a dog who was their 'baby' before their kids came along. Any nanny taking the job would need to be willing to treat DOG as the first child and given as much attention as the kids so she didn't feel left out.

YES. I SWEAR TO YOU. The DOG!

What do you think I said to THAT fine offer?

No comments: