Have a comment or question?

Welcome to my blog! Have a comment or question? Feel free to e-mail me and I will post it on the blog with my two-cents! E-mail me at ohionanny2010@gmail.com

Monday, September 23, 2013

LunchTime Frustrations

I've vented my frustration with the employer's pantry before.

It's difficult to come up with lunches each day for the kids that incorporate a complete meal. Already, when I am not here, the kids pretty much graze. A cracker or two here, piece of fruit there, a granola bar, a cereal bar, goldfish or Cheerios sprinkled on the table, maybe a cheese stick.

When I am in the house, we operate with a bit of organization. The little ones sit in their seats for meals. Those seats and countertop gets cleaned, right after their faces and hands are wiped. I try very hard at lunch to include a lean protein, and vegetables. This is because, when I started, the oldest child was the only child. She was a toddler still herself, and ate in this same way. Her food consisted basically of cherry tomatoes, strawberries, cereal, and Gogurts. The child wouldn't eat much of anything else, although at 3 1/2 she has a more varied diet because of what I put before her.

With the twins, I made it a point to offer veggies before fruit. They love broccoli, and even Brussel Sprouts!

What I have the most trouble with is varying up the protein. I'll usually give them half a cheese stick apiece, and a couple of crackers for snack. Or I pull out a yogurt cup and feed them. Those things are almost always around.

At lunch, Momboss seems to think deli meats torn up should suffice. This is not a bad thing to do sometimes, but I find the twins tend to not like it very much. Besides, who wants to eat it everyday?

There is almost never any kind of meat in the house.

The problem is the way the shopping is done. Momboss goes out almost every day to get the few items she may need to make dinner. She may grab some fruit or yogurt, but for the most part, what would give me lunch options is hardly considered.

There have been times I often give her a list and she will pick stuff up.

I guess I need to do that more often. Today, I scrounged up a sweet potato, an apple, and a chicken breast (only in the freezer because I asked mom to buy a bag). I did quick recipe searches and came up with something.

This.

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/sidedishes/r/sweetpotatoappl.htm

Except I also added a chicken breast.

Momboss came in after she got back from the gym (and getting HER breakfast out), and said, "yum!yum!" As she watched me chop.

I wanted to say, "you have no food!! Go to the store!"

She'd only come back with her own cereal, special mineral water, and maybe some strawberries.

I know I should have done this sooner, but I think I am going to plan lunches out a week ahead of time and make out lists to give to MB.





No comments: