Have a comment or question?

Welcome to my blog! Have a comment or question? Feel free to e-mail me and I will post it on the blog with my two-cents! E-mail me at ohionanny2010@gmail.com

Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Beginning of My Journey



When I was a little girl, like most little girls, I liked dolls. I liked to play house, and pretend and take care of my 'babies'. 

I have always had a very domestic side, and a very strong maternal instinct. I was certain I would have tons of kids. I dreamed of babysitting. In 2nd grade, we had career day. To prepare, we drew and cut out life size portraits of ourselves in the career of our choice.

Guess what mine was?

A girl with a baby in her arms. It was labelled “babysitter”.

At the same age, I ran around and knocked on neighbors doors who had toddlers and preschoolers, proudly announcing that I was available to watch their children. I was too young, of course I was. But they were gracious and humored me. They’d allow me to play with their child in the backyard (“babysitting”), no doubt watching all the while, and would give me a couple quarters for it.

I am the oldest of 4 kids and at the age of 8 was already taking care of many primary care responsibilities of my younger siblings. My mother and father were divorcing and my mother was in nursing school and working full time. We had sitters, but since my mother worked 3rd shift, many times I was caring for my baby brother while she got a few hours of sleep.

As a teenager, I had regular babysitting jobs. One couple even allowed me at 17 to keep their 3 yr old an entire weekend while they went out of town. These were very picky people who hardly ever left their children with anyone. They’d known me from childhood, and trusted me implicitly. And  I did not disappoint. I took very good care of their child. I recall we went to a pumpkin patch, picked out a pumpkin and carved it for Halloween.

Just shy of my 18th birthday, I decided I wanted to get a part time job after school. I went to a private school that was preschool-12th grade. I applied at the preschool part for a 3-6 position. I was told to come back on my 18th birthday.

I did just that.

That was the beginning. I’ve learned a lot since then, and will eventually make my way up through the 19 yrs that I have been involved in this field of work. It’s a low paying field, and ripe with many who work it solely to avoid having to pay child care themselves.  I’ve seen the bad ones and I have been awed by, and learned tremendously from, the very good ones. Throughout the sand and dirt you will find quite a few gems.

I hope one day to be counted among them.


No comments: